Monday, February 6, 2023

Cold Snap nightcap

 

 
DIRT PALACE NEWS!

FEBRUARY 2023
 

 

 Come check out what our current cohort of WCH artists in residence are working on!

Open House 4:00 - 6:00pm - as per usual, no RSVP needed

Artist talk 6pm - 7pm
Limited seating for the artist talk portion of the evening!
Email us at dirt palace public projects at gmail dot com to RSVP for the talk!


Taxes for Artists with Amy Smith
Wed, February 8, 2023, 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM EST

Are you an artist who has feelings about taxes? Does documenting and declaring expenses and income confuse you? Do you have questions about how to pay yourself, pay for materials, and pay collaborators from a grant award? Are you concerned you're not doing things right, or are you throwing your hands up and just straight avoiding dealing with them? This workshop with Amy Smith is for you!

 

 

WINDOW

JANUARY - FEBRUARY WINDOW ARTIST Natasha Brennan


Natasha Brennan is an illustrator and print maker who focuses on zines, art for children, posters, and community based projects. They graduated from RISD with a BFA in Illustration and a concentration in Literary Arts in 2020. They are also an educator and have taught for City Arts and Project Open Door. In their free time, they write stories, explore Providence, and dream of secret special places. Currently, the
y are an Artist in Residence at the Dirt Palace. 

Their Window Installation focuses on a collection of quilts, screen prints, and ceramics. The largest quilt has been a work in progress for almost 5 years- since they were 19. Many of the fabric pieces were screen-printed in the DP studio. The screen-printed blue panels are a repeating wallpaper design whereas the pink prints are one-offs based on photos of friends of mine playing pool at Nolan’s on Atwells Ave. The car quilt is a present to Olneyville Square- one of their favorite places in Providence. Each ceramic and quilt lends comfort in the place of guilt.



 
 

UPDATES ************

FROM THE PEOPLE OF THE PALACE!! 



NAFFISATOU KOULIBALY 


hey folks!! my name is naffisatou koulibaly ((everyone calls me naffi for short)) and I am the newest resident at Dirt Palace! I was born and raised in various parts of RI, but since high school, I've been central to Providence. my body of work includes lots and lots of poetry–which has always been my one true love. these days it feels like all I have to show of this love is a collection of unfinished poems that I hope one day to return to and complete. although, I know, as do many other poets, that a poem is never truly finished. my writing is interested in examining the phenomenon of growing up. to put it another way, i like talking about the inherent heartbreak of being a 23 year old girl and everything that makes the experience so beautiful and tragic.

I’ve been a member of Providence Poetry Slam–a volunteer-run organization that is the oldest Slam poetry venue in the state of RI–since roughly 2015. in that time, I’ve competed on the ProvSlam youth team at Brave New Voices 2018 (an international Slam poetry competition), joined as a part of the ProvSlam staff, received my BA in English Literature from Salve Regina University, and been published in Motif Magazine and OursPoetica. I hope this gives y'all a little bit of a clearer picture of who I am and the work that fulfills me. I'd also like to thank Dirt Palace for giving me this opportunity and for welcoming me into this community in such a sincere and genuine way. my life has been changed for the better with this move. links:
Instagram: @n.affisatou
youtube: http://https://youtu.be/tQPvFvJ2Cjl



KAI VAN VLACK


This month I wrote a column for Edie Quin’s Sparx Megazine #6. My piece is about grief and creative honesty. Comes with a great compilation. Available for purchase through Middle Man Records.

I played a ton of shows in the past few months but have nothing coming up until April. Trophy Hunt will be playing three more shows in Providence in April, May and June and then probably not again until 2024. Only one of those shows has been announced already. Here’s a flyer.


Reading/Listening/Watching
Tommi Parish - Men I Trust
Two people reaching out for intimacy in a world where nobody can really understand each other. Tommi’s ability to convey their Eliza and Sasha’s  inner states without using dialogue makes this book viscerally uncomfortable but incredibly real.

Luci Dead Limb - Humors of the Blood and Skin
Haunting goth folk songs to sob to. I left wanting more. Fingers crossed for a full length.

Alone
Reality TV is not my usual zone but watching survivalist weirdos demonstrate the ultimate futility of solitary existence has held my interest past the first season.


YSANEL TORRES


ELLEN (LN) FOSTER
        

Had a bit of an accidental mini-tour playing NYC, Providence, and Philadelphia --- and then PVD again this past month. Each show was fun and sweet. Really grateful to the other performers, attendees, and the show organizers at 1911 (PVD), Chaos Computer (NYC),  Space 1026 (Philly), and Peter Fuller Speed Shop (PVD). 


I also started oil painting again, which has been feeding my mind in a way that I really enjoy. Here I am holding some pie remnants in front of my new set up for that in my artist bay.


NATASHA BRENNAN
 Hi everyone! My window is up!!!?!!?!!! Crazy!!! I’m so happy to share quilts and other things with Olneyville square- my favorite place!!!  

 


Winter. Winter. Winter. A draft of a promotional bookmark for Anne Elizabeth Moore's Body Horror which is coming out in a 2nd edition from Feminist Press very soon! A former student finds a photograph of me from half a lifetime ago left on a scanner at RISD (thanks Jules!!). Sometimes I wonder why I ever had the notion that my hair could be in conversations with Pippi's - like when we were first friends, part of the logic of this was that we both had wild big hair and aspired to have impeccable craft skills. This photograph reminded me that idea that i had big hair came from the time of believing that wigs are warmer than hats and that if one is going to hang out in freezing warehouses all of the time that it's best to wear wigs all of the time (at least in winter). 


PIPPI ZORNOZA


Can't wait for HARPY'S tour with Chicago's HIDE. So many dates!! The whole Country!!!!
Don't miss our tour kickoff show with Trigger Discipline and Josh Zen, Thursday March 2nd at 1911  - Tickets available at the door and also at Resident Advisor

These posters are for sale before the show (and at the show) Local pickup ONLY! $35 DM HARPY PROVIDENCE if you'd like to purchase a poster!!!!

 

BULLETIN BOARD
*****************

Excited to announce that we have received grant funding from the Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts for program support.

**************

We are looking to fill the Work Exchange Artist in Residence position at the Wedding Cake House. The Work/Exchange Artist in Residence opportunity at the Wedding Cake House provides housing,  & a modest stipend in exchange for helping to support programs at the Wedding Cake House. For more info check out our Apply page HERE

 

No comments:

Post a Comment